Whoever came up with the hug as a form of greeting should be shot dead IMO. I hate random hugs. You never really know what to do with your hands. You don’t know whether to hold on or to let go, and if so, after how long. I am naturally a very clumsy person, and putting myself in such a fix is not exaclty my cup of coffee. Call me old-fashioned, but I still think that hugs should remain intimate, to be extended only to individuals one is closely affiliated with. I live for long intimate hugs. I’m talking about those hugs that leave you feeling so close with the other person that momentarily, you imagine your souls merging. Like why go through the trouble of hugging me if it’s gonna be a 3-second arms around each other affair? A Fist bump or a handshake would’ve sufficed.
Which brings me to the whole point of this post; men out there really need to learn how to give proper hugs (the same applies to women of course). There are extensive articles on the internet on how to give proper hugs like this one, and this one. Here are some tips from my own perspective and personal experiences.
- If it’s going to last less than 5 seconds, then don’t bother hugging.
- Hugs are supposed to be gentle yet firm. Draw her really close to you, and wrap your hands around her back (not bum). She’ll automatically wrap hers around your neck or waist if she’s short.
- Pro tip, always wear a good cologne. She’ll keep coming back for more.
- A hug shouldn’t be too long either, no one wants any awkward moments. You’ll need to rely on your instincts as well as the body language being projected to determine when to let go.
- When it’s time to let go, never do it hastily or in jerk motions. Gently release her.
- Never ever get too touchy (except when you’re in the confines of your bedroom). Just hold her. Hugs are supposed to speak for themselves.
- Never feel obliged to hug anyone; if you don’t feel like hugging someone, simply extend your hand well in advance to avoid any embarrassing moments to the other person.